U-20 World Athletics Championships: The Indian mixed 4X400m relay team bagged a bronze medal in the U-20 World Athletics Championships in Nairobi on 18th August 2021.
- The Indian quartet of Bharat S, Priya Mohan, Summy, and Kapil clocked 3:20.60 seconds while the Nigerian mixed 4x400m relay team won the gold, and Poland secured the silver.
- India had entered the final as the second-best team overall with a championship record timing of 3:23.36s in the heat races held in the morning.
- The record was, however, short-lived as the athletes from Nigeria improved it by finishing their race in heat 2 with a timing of 3:21.66s.
- The World Athletics U20 Championships are taking place from 17 to 22 August 2021 at the Nyayo Sports Complex in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Many major countries are not participating such as the USA, Great Britain, Germany, Australia, China, Japan, New Zealand or Norway, etc.
About World Athletics U20 Championships:
- The World Athletics U20 Championships is a biennial world championship for the sport of athletics organized by the World Athletics. It is contested by athletes in the under-20 athletics age category 19 years old or younger on 31 December in the year of the competition.
- The competition was launched as the IAAF World Junior Championships in Athletics in 1986 and renamed to IAAF World U20 Championships in November 2015.
- The current name was adopted with the name change of the sport’s governing body in 2019.