Barcelona Open Chess Tournament: Indian Grandmaster S.P. Sethuraman has won the Barcelona Open chess tournament title while compatriot Karthikeyan Murali finished third.
- Sethuraman (Elo 2644) collected 7.5 points from nine rounds to emerge winner on the basis of a better tie-break score after Daniil Yuffa of Russia also finished level with the Indian player.
- In the ninth and final round played, Sethuraman beat Hakobyan in a Catalan Closed variation game.
- Sethuraman, who was the top seed, remained unbeaten through the nine rounds, winning six matches and drawing three.
- Sethuraman gained 8.5 Elo points thanks to the triumph while Murali (Elo 2606) increased his by 6.4 points.
- Sethuraman and Murali had played out a draw in the fifth round.
- Murali won six games, drew two and went down to Hakobyan in the sixth round.
- Chithambaram took the fifth spot while Arjun Kalyan (6.5 points) ended ninth, followed by Visakh in 10th place after a handful of players finished with 6.5 points.
- Indian International Master N R Vignesh and Vaishali scored six points to finish 15th and 16th respectively.