Young Indian Grandmaster Nihal Sarin, on 8 July 2021 won the Serbia Open chess title in Belgrade.
- This is the second consecutive tournament victory for sixteen-year-old Sarin after he claimed the title in Silver Lake Open.
- This Grand Master from Thrissur, Kerala played out a draw with Russia’s Vladimir Fedoseev to finish with 7.5 points out of a possible nine to finish clear first in the 289-player field in the nine-round tournament.
- Sarin, who became a Grandmaster in 2018 at the age of 14, won six games and drew three, to remain unbeaten.
- The Silver Lake Open was his first over-the-board event after the COVID-19 pandemic break.
- Sarin’s compatriot Arjun Erigaisi finished seventh with seven points.
- The 14-year-old Indian IM Aditya Mittal also ended up with seven points and took the 10th spot. He also earned his maiden Grandmaster norm in the process.
- Chennai was V Pranav, 15, earned his first GM norm and became an International Master. He lost the ninth and final round game to Ukrainian Kiril Shevchenko and ended with six points.