SCO PEACEFUL MISSION – 2021: The Indian military contingent consisting of an all arms combined force of 200 personnel, including 38 personnel from the Indian Air Force, participated in the Joint Counter Terrorism Exercise PEACEFUL MISSION – 2021.
- The 6th edition of Exercise Peaceful Mission is being hosted by Russia in the Orenburg Region of South West Russia from 13th to 25th September 2021.
- The exercise has been organized under the aegis of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO).
The aims of the exercise are as follows:
- To foster close relations between SCO member states.
- To enhance the abilities of the military leaders to command multi-national military contingents.
- To increase global cooperation to counter-terrorism.
- To share best practices between the armed forces of SCO nations.
- Indian contingent was inducted to exercise area by two IL-76 aircrafts.
- Before their departure, contingent underwent training and preparation under the aegis of South Western Command.
Significance of the exercise:
- This exercise will enable the sharing of best practices between the Armed Forces of SCO nations.
- It will also provide an opportunity to the Armed Forces of SCO Nations to train in Counter-Terrorism Operations in an urban scenario in a multinational and joint environment.
- The key scope of the exercise includes professional interaction, mutual understanding of drills & procedures, the establishment of joint command & control structures, and the elimination of terrorist threats.
- It is a landmark event in the military interactions and the global cooperation to counter-terrorism.
About SCO Peaceful Mission:
- SCO Peaceful Mission or Joint Counter Terrorism Exercise PEACEFUL MISSION is a Multilateral Exercise.
- It is conducted biennially as part of military diplomacy between Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) member states.
- India, for the first time, participated in the 5th edition of the Exercise (2018).
- The Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) is an eight-member economic and security bloc that has also emerged as one of the largest transregional international organization.
- It was founded in Shanghai in 2001 by the Presidents of China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, and the Kyrgyz Republic.
- Both India and Pakistan became a permanent member of SCO in 2017.