On 19 May 2021, BEML Ltd. rolled out the first prototype of mechanical equipment designed for marking and fencing minefields at a faster rate and semi-automatically with minimal human intervention.
- An ‘Atmanirbharta’ product, the Mechanical Minefield Marking Equipment MK II, was built on BEML TATRA 6×6 (a high mobility vehicle).
- It has been developed through the transfer of technology from the Pune-based Research and Development Establishment (Engineers), a lab of Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO).
- MMME MK II would greatly benefit the Indian Army to mark and fence minefields as the MK II is designed for marking the minefields at a faster rate, semi-automatically with minimal human intervention.
About MMME MK II:
- The equipment is capable of marking/fencing at a minimum rate of 1.2 km/hour with inter-picket spacing of 15 metres.
- The system has capability to place the pickets at 10 35 metres spacing in the step of five metres.
- The picket can be driven to a maximum depth of 450 mm by this system, it said.
- MMME MK II system is designed to operate in plains of Punjab, as well as semi-desert & desert of Rajasthan, in all weather conditions.
- The system can store 500 numbers of pickets and polypropylene rope of 15 km in length.
BEML is executing the project by partnering with a number of Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).
The virtual roll out was performed in the presence of BEML CMD M V Rajasekar and Director of R&DE (Engineers) V V Parlikar among others.
About BEML Limited:
- BEML Limited, previously Bharat Earth Movers Limited, is a defence Indian Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) under the Ministry of Defence Govt. of India.
- It is a Mini Ratna Category – I Public Sector Enterprise operating in three distinct business verticals namely Mining & Construction Defence & Aerospace and Rail & Metro.
- It was founded in May 1964.
- It is the biggest Defence, Mining & Construction and Rail Coach manufacturer in India.
- It manufactures a variety of heavy equipment, such as that used for earth moving, transport and mining.
- It is headquartered in Bengaluru, Karnataka, India.