Zayed Talwar 2021: The Indian Navy, on 7th August 2021 took part in a bilateral exercise “Zayed Talwar 2021” with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) Navy off the coast of Abu Dhabi.
Zayed Talwar 2021 was designed to enhance interoperability and synergy between the two navies.
About Zayed Talwar 2021:
- The UAE participated in the exercise with Al-Dhafra, a Baynunah class-guided missile corvette, and one AS-565B Panther helicopter while the Indian Navy deployed its warship INS Kochi and two integral Sea King MK 42B helicopters.
- The exercise took place amid rising tension in the Gulf region after a drone attack on a merchant tanker off Oman killed a British national and a Romanian citizen over a week back.
- As part of the exercise, the ships undertook tactical maneuvers, over the horizon targeting, search and rescue, and electronic warfare.
- Helicopters were extensively used all through the exercise, ranging from search and rescue series to passing of targeting data to ships for simulated missile engagement drills.
- The naval exercise came a week after Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria visited the United Arab Emirates.
In December 2020, Army Chief Gen MM Naravane had visited the UAE and Saudi Arabia in a first-ever visit by a head of the Indian Army to the two important Gulf countries.