IIGF – 2021: Shri Anil Kumar Jain, the CEO, National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI), Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY), and the Chairman of Coordination Committee, India Internet Governance Forum 2021 (IGF), announced the launch of India Internet Governance Forum (IIGF) – 2021.
- The Ministry of Electronics and Information and Technology (MeitY) informed that India’s first IIGF will be held for three days starting from October 20, 2021.
- The launch of IIGF – 2021 was announced on 9th August 2021 in a Press Conference, organized at Electronics Niketan, New Delhi.
- The theme of this year’s meeting is “Inclusive Internet for Digital India”.
- With this announcement, the Indian chapter of the United Nations-based forum namely the Internet Governance Forum has begun.
- Pre-IIGF engagement events will also start from August 2021 across colleges and universities.
- Pre-events will be organized with the aim of engaging students and youth to participate in the main event in October.
- The full form of IIGF is the ‘India Internet Governance Forum.’
- IIGF is an Indian version of the Internet Governance Forum under the United Nations.
- It is an Internet Governance policy discussion platform to bring representatives together from various groups, considering all at par to discuss public policy issues related to the Internet.
- This mode of engagement is referred to as the multi-stakeholder model of Internet Governance, which has been the key feature for the Internet’s success.
- The multi-stakeholder concept is well adopted by IGF (Internet Governance Forum) under United Nations and by Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).
IIG Coordination Committee:
- Among the key members of the India Internet Governance coordination committee includes Anil Kumar Jain who is named chairman, TV Ramchandran as Vice-Chairman, Jaijeet Bhattacharya as Vice Chairman, Rajat Moona as Vice-Chairman.
- There are also about 12 members representing the government, civil society, industries, trusts as members.
About Internet Governance Forum (IGF):
- The IGF is a multistakeholder governance group for policy dialogue on issues of Internet governance.
- It brings together all stakeholders in the Internet governance debate, whether they represent governments, the private sector, or civil society, including the technical and academic community, on an equal basis and through an open and inclusive process.
- The establishment of the IGF was formally announced by the United Nations Secretary-General in July 2006.
- It was first convened in October–November 2006 and has held an annual meeting since then.