India UNSC Presidency: India, on 1 August 2021 assumed the rotational presidency of the 15-nation United Nations Security Council (UNSC) for the month of August.
- India took over the presidency from France.
- India, flagging off its tenure, thanked France, its immediate predecessor in the position, for leading the Council in July.
- This is India’s first UNSC presidency during its 2021-22 tenure as a non-permanent member of the UNSC.
- India began its two-year tenure as a non-permanent member of the UNSC on January 1, 2021.
- This is India’s tenth tenure.
- So far it has been President of the body nine times: June 1950, September 1967, December 1972, October 1977, February 1985, October 1991, December 1992, August 2011, and November 2012.
Key Focus Areas During India UNSC Presidency:
- S. Tirumurti India’s permanent representative to the UN, on 2nd August 2021, will hold a press conference on the Security Council’s work plan for the month.
- During its presidency, India is set to organize key events in three major areas of maritime security, peacekeeping, and counter-terrorism.
- Maritime security is India’s top priority, and it is important for the Security Council to take a holistic approach to this issue.
- India is particularly focused on using better technology to ensure the safety of peacekeepers and how to bring perpetrators of crimes against peacekeepers to justice.
- India, as a leading country in the fight against terrorism, will continue to focus on the fight against terrorism.
- India will decide the agenda of the UN’s highest decision-making body whose resolutions and directives are binding on all member states.
- India will also coordinate important meetings on a range of issues during August.
- India will also be organizing an event in memory of peacekeepers.
- India along with Pakistan and Bangladesh is one of the top contributors to UN peacekeeping operations with men and material.
PM Modi to be first Indian PM to preside over UNSC meeting:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the first Indian PM to preside over a meeting during India’s UNSC presidency.
- This was informed by India’s former envoy to UN Syed Akbaruddin.
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and foreign secretary Harsh Shringla will also chair high-level meetings on topics of global importance during India’s UNSC presidency term.
- It was in 1992 when the then PM PV Narasimha Rao who had attended a UNSC meeting was engaged in this effort.
- UNSC is an abbreviation for United Nations Security Council.
- It is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations.
- It is responsible for the maintenance of international peace and security.
- The Security Council comprises 15 members out of which five members are permanent and 10 are non-permanent members elected for a period of two years.
- Under the Charter of the United Nations, all Member States are obligated to comply with Council decisions.
- It is headquartered in New York, United States.
- It was founded on 24 October 1945.
- Its function includes the establishment of peacekeeping operations and international sanctions as well as the authorization of military actions through resolutions.
- It is the only body of the United Nations (UN) with the authority to issue binding resolutions to member states.
- The council held its first session on 17 January 1946.