India has recently been elected to three key bodies of the United Nations’ Economic and Social Council (UN ECOSOC).
They are as follows:
- The Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice (CCPCJ).
- The Executive Board of the UN Entity for Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women.
- The Executive Board of World Food Programme.
All these three bodies operate under United Nations Economic and Social Council.
India was elected to all these three bodies by acclamation. Acclamation is honouring someone.
Electing a member country through acclamation does not use a ballot. However, other member countries were elected through secret ballot to these bodies.
India’s term to these bodies begins on January 1, 2022.
What is Election by Acclamation in the United Nations?
- When a member with clean slate is presented for an election in the United Nations, the vote takes place through acclamation.
- Clean Slate means there is no history of evidence of any problems or broken rules.
- The Secret ballot shall be dispensed when election by acclamation takes place in the United Nations.
- Election by Acclamation is not allowed in all UN bodies.
- Election by Acclamation is completely excluded in some of the UN bodies such as the Human Rights Council.
- CCPCJ, based in Vienna, acts as the principal policy-making body of the United Nations in the field of crime prevention and criminal justice. The CCPCJ has 40 member states that are elected by ECOSOC and is chaired by a Bureau, including one member per Regional Group.
- The other countries that were elected to the Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice through secret ballot were Cuba, Chile, Paraguay, Dominican Republic, Brazil. Countries such as Austria, Bahrain, Bulgaria, Belarus, France, Canada, Libya, Ghana, Qatar, Pakistan, Togo and Thailand were elected by acclamation.
About the Executive Board of the UN Entity for Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women:
- UN Women is about gender issues. Executive Board of UN Women consists of 41 members, 10 from the African states, 10 from the Asian states, 4 from the Eastern European states, 6 from Latin American and the Caribbean states, 5 from Western Europe and the other states, and 6 from top contributing countries.
- Indian diplomat Lakshmi Puri has been in the past Deputy Executive Director of UN Women.
- The countries that were elected to this board through acclamation were Ukraine, Turkmenistan, Thailand, South Africa, Poland, Monaco, Kenya, Guyana, Gambia, Egypt, Colombia, Camroon, Bangladesh, Australia, Dominican Republic and Afghanistan.
About the Executive Board of World Food Programme:
- The Executive Board is World Food Program or WFP’s supreme governing body. Comprising 36 states members of the United Nations or Member Nations of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the board provides intergovernmental support, policy direction and supervision of the activities of WFP.