India has recently been elected to the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), one of the six main organs of the United Nations, for 2022-2024 term in the elections held in the United Nations.
- India was elected in the Asia-Pacific States category along with Afghanistan, Kazakhstan and Oman.
- From the African states, Cte d’Ivoire, Eswatini, Mauritius, Tunisia and the United Republic of Tanzania were elected.
- From the eastern European states, Croatia and the Czech Republic were elected.
- From the Latin American and Caribbean states, Belize, Chile and Peru were elected.
- In the Economic and Social Council by-election, Greece, New Zealand and Denmark were elected for a term of office from January to December 2022 and Israel was elected for a term of office beginning January 1, 2022 and until December 31, 2023.
- India is currently serving the 2021-22 term as a non-permanent member of the powerful UN Security Council and will assume the Presidency of the 15-nation UN organ in August.
- ECOSOC is the acronym for United Nations Economic and Social Council.
- ECOSOC was established ECOSOC in 1945 as one of the six main organs of the United Nations by the UN Charter.
- It is headquartered in New York, USA.
- ECOSOC is the principal body for coordination, policy review, policy dialogue and recommendations on economic, social and environmental issues, as well as the implementation of internationally agreed development goals.
- The Council consists of 54 Members States, which are elected by the General Assembly for overlapping three-year terms.
- Seats on the Council are allotted based on geographical representation with 14 allocated to African states, 11 to Asian states, six to eastern European states, 10 to Latin American and Caribbean states and 13 to western European and other states.
- It coordinates the work of the 14 UN specialized agencies, ten functional commissions and five regional commissions, receives reports from nine UN funds and programmes and issues policy recommendations to the UN system and to member states.
- Being the heart of United Nations system, it helps in advancing economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development.
- It organizes follow-up, major UN conferences and summits.
- It promotes high standards of living, full employment, economic & social progress,
- It also identifies solutions for global economic, social & health problems etc.
ECOSOC’s annual High-Level Segment includes:
- High-Level Political Forum, which reviews implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, is convened under the auspices of the Council every July.
- Development Cooperation Forum reviews trends and progress in development cooperation.
- The specialized agencies of the United Nations are autonomous organizations working within the United Nations System, meaning that while they report their activities to the Economic and Social Council, they are mostly free to their own devices.