Universal Postal Union (UPU): India has won the elections for membership of two key bodies of the Universal Postal Union (UPU), during the 27th UPU Congress in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire.
- India was elected with 106 votes out of 156 countries to the Postal Operations Council (POC).
- India also got elected to the Council of Administration (CA) with 134 votes.
- The country received the highest votes in CA elections from South Asia and the Oceania region.
- India will now work with all to strengthen cooperation in the Universal Postal Union.
- The UPC meets every 4 years.
About Universal Postal Union (UPU):
- The Universal Postal Union (UPU) is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN) that coordinates postal policies among member nations, in addition to the worldwide postal system.
- It was established by the Treaty of Bern 1874 on 9 October 1874.
- UPU’s headquarters are located in Bern, Switzerland.
- The UPU contains four bodies consisting of Congress, the Council of Administration (CA), the Postal Operations Council (POC), and the International Bureau (IB).
- It also oversees the Telematics and Express Mail Service (EMS) cooperatives.
- The current Universal Postal Union Director-General is Masahiko Meteko.
About Postal Operations Council:
- The Postal Operations Council (POC) is the technical and operational authority of UPU.
- It is made up of 40 member countries that are elected during Congress.
- The organization elects its own chair and meets once a year at the headquarters of the UPU in Berne.
- The work of the POC is aimed at assisting Posts in modernizing and upgrading their postal products and services.
- It is concerned with the postal service’s operational, economic, and commercial aspects. In areas where uniform procedures are required, the council also offers recommendations to member countries on standards for technological, operational, or other processes.
About the Council of Administration (CA):
- The Council of Administration (CA) is made up of 41 countries.
- The council meets once a year at the headquarters of the UPU in Berne.
- It oversees the UPU’s activities, provides continuity between Congresses, and researches regulatory, administrative, legislative, and legal concerns.
- The CA has the authority to approve recommendations by the Postal Operations Council for the adoption of regulations or new processes until the next Congress, ensuring that the UPU can respond promptly to developments in the postal environment.