Indian Farmers Fertilizer Cooperative Limited (IFFCO), the premier farmers’ cooperative, on May 31, 2021, introduced the world’s first Nano Urea Liquid fertilizer.
- The world’s first Nano Urea Liquid was unveiled in IFFCO’s 50th annual general body meeting held in the online-offline mode in India.
- The ‘Nano-technology’ based product has been researched and developed at the IFFCO Nano Biotechnology Research Centre (NBRC), an advanced research and development centre based at Kalol Unit.
- This new Nano Urea Liquid that has been indigenously developed through a proprietary technology is in line with ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ and ‘Atmanirbhar Krishi’.
Production and Rollout:
- IFFCO has informed that the production of Nano Urea Liquid will commence by June 2021.
- The commercial rollout will start soon thereafter.
- IFFCO has planned a massive countrywide campaign exercise to demonstrate and train the farmers about its usage and application.
- Nano urea will be primarily available to farmers through its cooperative sales and marketing channel apart from its sale on IFFCO’s e-commerce platform.
- The liquid is now included in Fertiliser Control Order (FCO, 1985) on the basis of multi- location and multi-crop trials undertaken under National Agriculture Research System (NARS) at 20 ICAR research institutes, State Agriculture Universities and KVKs on 43 crops.
Benefits of Nano Urea Liquid:
The following are the benefits of Nano Urea Liquid.
- Improve soil health,
- Reduce emission greenhouse gases
- Ensure up to 15-30% increase in crop production
- Reduce the requirement of conventional chemical fertilizer by 50%
- Boost the plant’s immunity against harmful pathogens
- Help increase the activity of plant growth hormone and improves overall plant growth and development.
- It will also have a huge positive impact on the quality of underground water, a very significant reduction in global warming with an impact on climate change and sustainable development.
The effectiveness of Nano Urea Liquid has been tested in over 11,000 farmers’ fields for 94 crops like rice and wheat.
- It is more effective than the conventional granular urea which when used the excess urea causes environmental pollution, harms soil health, and makes plants more susceptible to disease and insect infestation, delayed maturity of the crop, and production loss.
- It will prove very beneficial for farmers. The benefits are as follows:
- It will be cost-effective as it is cheaper and it will help in increasing farmers’ income.
- Nano urea contains 40,000 ppm of Nitrogen in a 500 ml bottle, which is equal to nitrogen nutrient impact provided by one bag of conventional Urea.
- This will reduce the input cost of farmers and due to its small size, it will also significantly bring down the cost of logistics and warehousing too.
- The 500 ml bottle of Nano Urea will be priced at Rs 240 for the farmers, which is 10% cheaper than the cost of a bag of conventional Urea.
What is Nano urea?
- Urea that is produced from nano-technology to improve the efficiency of the nutrients of the crops is called as nano urea.
- The nano urea liquid seeks to replace conventional Urea and can curtail its requirement by at least 50 percent.
- Indian Farmers Fertilizer Cooperative Limited, also known as IFFCO is a Multi-state cooperative society engaged in the business of manufacturing and marketing of fertilizers headquartered in New Delhi, India.
- It was founded on 3 November 1967 with 57 member cooperatives it is today the biggest co-op in the world by turnover on GDP per capita with around 35,000 member cooperatives reaching over 50 million Indian farmers.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi, India.
- The current chairman and CEO/MD are B.S Nakai and Dr. U.S Awasthi respectively.