The BJP leader Himanta Biswa Sarma has recently been announced as the next Chief Minister of Assam.
- The announcement in this regard was made by Union minister Narendra Singh Tomar after a legislature party meeting in Guwahati on 9th May 2021.
- Sarma will be succeeding his fellow BJP leader Sarbananda Sonowal in office.
- His name was proposed by outgoing Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal.
- He was ‘unanimously’ elected as the BJP’s legislature party leader in the northeastern state.
- The BJP won 60 of the 126 seats in the Assam Assembly election. Its allies, Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) and United People’s Party Liberal (UPPL) won nine and six seats, respectively.
- Dr. Sarma was holding several important portfolios including Health and Finance in the Sarbananda Sonowal government.