Gujarat Governor Acharya Devvrat, has given his assent to the Gujarat Freedom of Religion (Amendment) Bill, 2021, which has been projected as the “anti-love jihad” Bill along with 7 other bills.
- These bills were passed in March 2021 during the budget session of the state assembly.
Gujarat Freedom of Religion (Amendment) Bill, 2021:
- The Gujarat Freedom of Religion (Amendment) Bill 2021 proposes punishment of 3-10 years in jail for forcible or fraudulent religious conversions through marriage.
- It amends the 2003 Act.
- The amendment aims to reduce the “emerging trend” where women are “lured to marriage” for the purposes of religious conversion.
What was the reason for passing such legislation?
- This reason for passing the bill was considering the fact that there are episodes of religious conversions promising better lifestyles, divine blessings and impersonation.
- There is an emerging trend in which women are lured to marriage for purpose of religious conversions.
Other State with similar legislation:
- The states of Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh also enacted similar “anti-love jihad” laws that banned “fraudulent” conversions through marriage.
What is Love Jihad?
- Love Jihad is also known as Romeo Jihad refers to inter-religious marriages where the woman converts to Islam either by force or guile in order to marry a Muslim man.
- The theory maintains that, Muslim men target Hindu women for conversion to Islam by means of feigning love and marriage.