The Union Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently approved the proposal for the Deep Ocean Mission for sustainable use of ocean resources and nutrient-based subsidy.
- The Deep Ocean Mission will prove to be a game changer in the future.
- India has seven thousand 517 km long coastline.
- The estimated cost of the Deep Ocean Mission will be over Rs 4000 crore and it will be implemented in a phase-wise manner in five years.
- For the first phase for the 3 years (2021-2024), the government would spend Rs 2,823.40 crore.
- This futuristic decision will give impetus to the Blue Economy by exploring the deep ocean for resources and developing deep-sea technologies for sustainable use of ocean resources.
- This mission will help in the study of deep ocean biodiversity and minerals.
- Around 30 percent of the country’s population lives in coastal areas.
- The ocean is a major economic factor supporting fisheries and aquaculture, tourism, livelihoods, and blue trade.
- Oceans are also a storehouse of food, energy, minerals, and medicines.
About Deep Ocean Mission:
- The ‘Deep Ocean Mission’ will be a mission mode project to support the Blue Economy Initiatives of the government and the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) will be the nodal Ministry implementing this multi-institutional ambitious mission.
- Under the Mission, a manned submersible will be developed to carry three people to a depth of six thousand metres in the ocean.
- An Integrated Mining System will also be developed for mining Polymetallic Nodules.
- The exploration studies of minerals will pave the way for commercial exploitation in the near future.
- Studies and detailed engineering design for offshore Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion powered desalination plants are also envisaged under the Mission.
- A research vessel for deep ocean exploration would be built in an Indian shipyard which would create employment opportunities.
- This mission is also directed towards capacity development in Marine Biology which will provide job opportunities.
- With this mission, the government seeks to indigenize technologies by collaborating with leading institutes and private industries.