National Steering Committee (NSC): The Central Government has recently formed a National Steering Committee (NSC) to implement NIPUN Bharat Mission.
Key Points about NSC for NIPUN Bharat Mission:
- National Steering Committee (NSC) has been constituted by the Department of School Education and Literacy.
- The Chairperson and the Vice Chairperson of the NSC will be The Union Education Minister, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan and the Minister of State for Education, Smt. Annpurna Devi respectively.
- Committee will be chaired by Union Education Minister, Dharmendra Pradhan. Minister of State for Education, Annapurna Devi will act as the vice-chairperson.
- Other members of the NSC include- Secretary of School Education & Literacy;
- Director of NCERT;
- Secretary of Education, Karnataka;
- Secretary Education, Uttar Pradesh;
- Director SCERT Sikkim and
- Director SCERT Gujarat.
Roles and Responsibilities of NSC:
The roles and responsibilities of the NSC are as follows:
- To oversee the progress of the National Mission on Foundational Literacy and Numeracy and provide guidance on policy issues.
- To arrive at the target to be achieved nationally in 2026-27.
- To disseminate tools for the measurement of yearly progress in the form of guidelines.
- To prepare and approve a National Action Plan
- To review programmatic and financial norms periodically to ensure they are synchronised with targets to be achieved.
- To develop the methodology of assessment to analyse the progress and provide feedback to States/UTs.
About NIPUN Bharat Mission:
- NIPUN is the acronym for “National Initiative for Proficiency in Reading with Understanding and Numeracy”.
- NIPUN Bharat Scheme was launched on July 5, 2021 as part of the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020.
- The main objective of NIPUN Bharat Mission is to achieve the goal of universal proficiency in foundational literacy and numeracy for every child by grade 3, as envisaged by National Education Policy 2020.
- NEP 2020 envisages providing universal proficiency in foundational literacy & numeracy to every child by end of Class 3 by 2026-27.