The Central Government, on 16 July 2021 launched a digital platform named’ Kisan Sarathi.’
- The platform Kisan Sarathi was launched to facilitate farmers to get ‘right information at right time’ in their desired language.
- This digital platform was jointly launched by Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar and Electronics and Information Technology Minister Ashwini Vaishnav through a video conference on the occasion of 93rd ICAR Foundation Day.
About Kisan Sarathi:
- Through this digital platform, the farmers can avail personalized advisories on agriculture and allied areas directly from scientists of Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVKs).
- This initiative of Kisan Sarathi will empower farmers with the technological interventions and reach farmers in remote areas.
About ICAR Foundation Day:
- Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR) celebrated its 93rd foundation day virtually on 16 July 2021.
- The ICAR has played a pioneering role in ushering Green Revolution and subsequent developments in agriculture in India through its research and technology development, therefore making a visible impact on the national food and nutritional security.
- It has played a major role in promoting excellence in higher education in agriculture.
The theme of 2021:
This Year, the day was celebrated on the theme – “Yoga for Well-being”.
- The Indian Council of Agricultural Research has been recognizing and rewarding the institutions, scientists, teachers, farmers and agricultural journalists every year.
- On the occasion of the foundation day, Shri Tomar announced awards in various categories and released the publications of ICAR in the presence of Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying Shri Parshottam Rupala, Union MoS for Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Shri Kailash Choudhary and Ms. Shobha Karandlaje.
- The ICAR conferred 16 Awards in 4 major categories during the occasion. The awards are:
- National Award for outstanding contributions for Agricultural Institutes
- National Award for outstanding contributions in Agricultural Researches
- National Award for Application of Agricultural Technologies” and
- National Award for Innovation and Technology Development by Farmers
- The dignitaries virtually felicitated about 60 Awardees in 16 different categories. The Awardees included
- 4 ICAR Institutes
- 1 All India Coordinated Research Project
- 4 Krishi Vigyan Kendras
- 39 Scientists
- 11 Farmers
- Apart from the Awards, the Hindi Rajbhasha Awards in the various categories were also conferred during the occasion.
- ICAR was established on 16 July 1929 as a registered society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
- It is an autonomous body responsible for coordinating agricultural education and research in India under the Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE), Ministry of Agriculture.
- The Union Minister of Agriculture serves as its president.
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research’s headquarters is in New Delhi.