Foreign Minister of Maldives Mr. Abdulla Shahid has been elected as the President of the 76th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).
- He garnered 143 votes out of 191 ballots cast. He will preside over the 76th session of the United Nations body that will commence in September 2021.
- Mr. Abdulla Shahid will succeed the Turkish Diplomat Volkan Bozkir who was the President of the 75th session of the UN General Assembly that came amid the unprecedented Coronavirus pandemic.
- The election to the UNGA presidential post is held on an annual basis, rotated amongst various regional groupings.
- The 76th UNGA session (2021-22) was the turn of the Asia-Pacific group.
- This is the first time Maldives will be occupying the office of the President of the UNGA.
- UNGA refers to the United Nations General Assembly.
- UNGA is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations.
- It is the main deliberative, policymaking, and representative organ of the United Nations.
- Comprising all 193 Member States of the UN, it provides a unique forum for multilateral discussion of international issues including peace and security.
- It was formed in 1985.
- It is headquartered in New York, New York, United States.
- The Maldives, officially the Republic of Maldives, is a small island nation in South Asia.
- It is situated in the Arabian Sea of the Indian Ocean.
- It lies southwest of Sri Lanka and India.The Capital of Maldives is Male.
- The Currency of the Maldives is Maldivian Rufiyaa.
- The current President of the Maldives is Ibrahim Mohamed Solih.