A minor fire broke out Sunday on INS Matanga, an ocean-going tug while it was undergoing repairs in the Naval Dockyard here Sunday but was soon extinguished, an official said. There were no casualties or damage to the vessel.
The incident occurred when steel welding work was going on in the sewage treatment compartment around 3 p.m. and some insulating material in an adjacent compartment started smoldering and emitting thick smoke.
This was immediately detected by the duty personnel on site and the Naval Dockyard Fire Brigade was summoned.
The blaze was brought under control shortly thereafter and there were no casualties of any kind or damage to the ship, the official said.