In Ethiopia, Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed’s Prosperity party won the national parliamentary election.
- National Election Board of Ethiopia announced that the ruling party won 410 seats out of 436 in the federal parliament.
- This landslide victory assured a second term for Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed.
- Abiy Ahmed came to power in April 2018 after the former prime minister resigned amid widespread protests.
- He had taken many steps for political and economic reforms during his tenure but also drawn intense international criticism for his handling of the conflict in the Tigray region has that left thousands of people dead.
- Ethiopia, officially the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, is a landlocked country in the Horn of Africa.
- It shares borders with Eritrea to the north, Djibouti and Somalia (Somaliland) to the northeast, Somalia to the east, Kenya to the south, South Sudan to the west and Sudan to the northwest.
- The capital and largest city of Ethiopia is Addis Ababa.
- The currency used here is the Ethiopian birr.