Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) has recently launched a project on Open Network for Digital Commerce (ONDC).
The task has been assigned to the Quality Council of India (QCI).
- The ONDC project has been launched with an aim to promote open networks which are developed on open-sourced methodology.
- The open network will be developed using open specifications & open network protocols independent of any specific platform.
Significance of ONDC:
- ONDC will digitize the entire value chain, standardize operations, promote inclusion of suppliers, derive efficiencies in logistics, and enhance value for consumers.
- An advisory council has also been constituted to advise the Government regarding the measures required to design and accelerate the adoption of ONDC.
- Members of the Advisory Council are as follows:
- Shri R.S. Sharma, CEO, National Health Authority
- Shri Nandan M. Nilekani, non-executive Chairman of Infosys
- Shri Adil Zainulbhai, Chairman, QCI and Capacity Building Commission
- Ms. Anjali Bansal, Founder & Chairperson, Avaana Capital
- Shri Arvind Gupta, Co-founder & Head, Digital India Foundation
- Shri Dilip Asbe, MD & CEO, NPCI
- Shri Suresh Sethi, MD & CEO, NSDL
- Shri Praveen Khandelwal, Secretary-General, CAIT
- Shri Kumar Rajagopalan, CEO, RAI
- Additional Secretary (ITeC), DPIIT shall be the convener of the Advisory Council.
- The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) is a central government department under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry in India.
- DPIIT is the nodal Department in the Government of India (GoI) for coordinating and implementing programmes with the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) in India.
- The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) was established in the year 1995 and was reconstituted in the year 2000 with the merger of the Department of Industrial Development.
- The Department in its current form came into being on 27 January 2019, when the erstwhile Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion was renamed to Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) after internal trade was added to its mandate.
- The current Minister is Piyush Goyal while the top bureaucrat is Dr. Guruprasad Mohapatra, IAS.
Functions of DPIIT:
- It is responsible for the formulation and implementation of promotional and developmental measures for the growth of the industrial sector, keeping in view the national priorities and socio-economic objectives.
- While individual administrative ministries look after the production, distribution, development, and planning aspects of specific industries allocated to them, DPIIT is responsible for the overall industrial policy.
- The Department also coordinates with apex Industry Associations such as the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Confederation of Indian Industry, ASSOCHAM in their activities relating to the promotion of industrial cooperation.
- It is also responsible for facilitating and increasing the foreign direct investment (FDI) flows to the country.