Solar DC Cooking System: Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (CSIR-CMER), recently handed over the CSIR-CMERI developed Solar DC Cooking System to the Asansol Braille Academy, West Bengal.
- The Solar DC Cooking System has been developed by CSIR-CMERI.
- This Solar DC Cooking System is a Solar Energy based Cooking System which consists of solar PV panel, charge controller, battery bank and cooking oven.
- The technology provides a Clean Cooking Environment, Invertor-Less Direct Operation, Fast and Uniform Heating.
- The system can also substantially curb carbon dioxide emissions, as even LPG usage emits Carbon Dioxide (CO2).
- It has a potential to save 1 ton CO2 emissions year/household.
- Widespread usage of this system will also play a critical role in achieving the target of 200 GW of Solar energy.
- It has 20-25% better efficiency and more Economical in comparison with Conventional Solar based Cooking Systems which loses efficiency owing to AC-DC conversion.
- In addition, its simple design also ensures Ease-of-Manufacturing and ultimately provides substantial Economic Opportunity for the Micro-Industries.
Is Solar Power AC or DC?
- Solar photovoltaic technology works on DC power. Solar panels generate direct current when the sun shines on panels, causing electrons to move and create current, thus, the current is direct as all of the electrons flow in the same direction.
What are AC and DC?
- AC stands for Alternating Current.
- AC means that form of voltage or current that changes polarity or direction, respectively, over time.
- It is the form in which electric power is delivered to businesses and residences.
- This form of electrical energy is typically used by the consumers when they plug kitchen appliances, televisions, fans and electric lamps into a wall socket.
- DC Stands for Direct current.
- It flows consistently in one direction.
- It is used in any electronic device with a battery for a power source.
- It is also used to charge batteries, so rechargeable devices like laptops and cell phones come with an AC adapter that converts alternating current to direct current.
What are the advantages of using Solar Energy?
- Household air pollution from cooking fires in the home is a leading cause of respiratory disease.It kills many precious lives each year.
- Harnessing free solar energy for cooking will make –
- Drinking water safe.
- Improve health,
- Build resilient families,
- Break the cycle of poverty,
- Empower women and children and
- Boost local economies as solar cookers do not produce any smoke.
- The Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (also known as CSIR-CMERI Durgapur or CMERI Durgapur) is a public engineering research and development institution in Durgapur, West Bengal.
- It was founded in February 1958, to develop national mechanical engineering technology, in a bid to help Indian industries.
- It is a constituent laboratory of the Indian Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).