V.K. Paul Task Force: Following the discovery of cases of monkeypox in India, the Union government constituted a task force to monitor and provide guidance on the expansion of diagnostic facilities and to explore vaccination against the infection in the country.
- The team will be headed by V.K. Paul, member (Health), NITI Aayog.
- India has reported six confirmed cases of monkeypox so far.
- Four cases were confirmed in Kerala and two in Delhi.
- Himachal Pradesh's health department has also detected a person with symptoms similar to monkeypox in Solan`s Baddi.
- The patient's samples have been sent for testing to the National Institute of Virology (NIV).
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), more than 18,000 cases have been reported from 78 countries.
- Monkeypox is a zoonotic disease caused by the monkeypox virus, which belongs to the same family of viruses that causes smallpox.
- According to WHO, the disease is endemic in regions like West and Central Africa, but lately, cases have been reported from non-endemic countries too.
- Monkeypox typically starts with flu-like symptoms such as fever and rashes are formed 1-4 days later.
- The monkeypox rashes started as raised spots that slowly turn into small blisters that are either hard and round or filled with pus or fluid.
- These blisters eventually dry up and fall off and a fresh layer of skin is formed.
The symptoms are -
- Swollen Lymph Nodes
- Skin Lesions
- Muscle Aches
How is Monkeypox transmitted?
Monkeypox is transmitted from person-to-person through close contact.
It gets transmitted usually through following modes-
- Direct contact with skin lesions or body fluids of an infected person
- Sharing of personal items like bedding or clothing of an infected person
- Prolonged exposure to an infected person's respiratory secretions
- Monkeypox can also spread from animals to people through bites and scratches or use of meat from an infected animal.
It generally lasts for about 2-4 weeks until all rashes are healed, all scabs have fallen off and fresh layer of skin has formed.
The recently constituted task force by the Centre is being headed by whom?
A) Suman Bery
B) Parameswaran Iyer
C) V K Paul
D) Amitabh Kant