11th Annual meeting FEMBoSA: The 11th Annual meeting of the Forum of the Election Management Bodies of South Asia (FEMBoSA) was inaugurated by Chief Election Commissioner of India & Chairman of FEMBoSA, Sushil Chandra for the year 2021.
The meeting in Virtual mode was hosted by the Election Commission of Bhutan.
FEMBoSA meeting was held under the theme of ‘Use of Technology in Elections’.
The delegations from Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Maldives, Bhutan, Nepal, and Sri Lanka along with India participated in the meeting.
The Chairmanship of FEMBoSA was virtually handed over by Sushil Chandra, CEC, as the outgoing Chair of FEMBoSA to Dasho Sonam Topgay, Chief Election Commissioner of Bhutan.
On behalf of the Election Commission of Bhutan, H.E. Major General Vetsop Namgyel, Ambassador of Bhutan to India accepted FEMBoSA Logo from Shri Sushil Chandra for the Election Commission of Bhutan assuming the role of new Chair of FEMBoSA 2021-22.
Note: The logo of FEMBoSA with golden pearls stands for eternal values of democracy, transparency, impartiality, and cooperation.
About 11th Annual meeting of FEMBoSA:
- The Thimphu Resolution was unanimously adopted by the FEMBoSA members at this meeting to extend the tenure of the chairmanship to two years during the current pandemic situation.
- At the meet, Sushil Chandra highlighted that the ECI has digitized many processes by keeping pace with rapid strides of Technology.
- Technology-driven processes have become more important during the Covid 19 situation as it is helping in minimizing person-to-person contact.
- The full form of FEMBoSA is Forum of the Election Management Bodies of South Asia.
- FEMBoSA was established at the 3rd Conference of Heads of Election Management Bodies of SAARC Countries held in New Delhi in 2012.
- The annual FEMBoSA meeting is held by rotation among the members.
- Besides ECI, the other 7 members are EMBs from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
- The objectives of the Forum are as follows:
- To promote contact among the EMBs of the SAARC countries.
- To share experiences with a view to learning from each other.