Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has collaborated with Microsoft to introduce Coding for classes 6-8 and the Data Science curriculum for classes 8-12 as new skilling subjects in the 2021-2022 academic sessions.
- The Coding curriculum has been introduced for classes 6 to 8, while Data Science for classes 8 to 12 a new skilling subject.
- Coding and Data Science curriculum are focused on building critical thinking, computational skills, problem-solving skills, creativity, and hands-on exposure to new technologies.
- The newly introduced curriculum focuses on is aimed at building next-generation skills in students, the release mentioned.
- Subjects will be launched in accordance with National Education Policy (NEP) 2020.
Role of Microsoft:
- Microsoft has designed supplementary handbooks for coding as well as data science as per the NCERT patterns and structures.
- Books cover real-life examples with the aim of building exposure to ethical dimensions exposure to Microsoft MakeCode.
- Microsoft MakeCode is an open-source platform that will enable students to learn better in a gamified manner.
- It will cover all disciplines including mathematics, languages, and social sciences.
- It will also cover ethical issues with data including data governance and builds the foundation for AI-based applications of data science.
- Data Science is an interdisciplinary field that uses scientific methods, algorithms, processes, and systems in order to extract knowledge and insights from structured and unstructured data.
- It then applies knowledge and actionable insights in a broad range of application domains.
- Data mining, machine learning, and big data are part of data science.
- Microsoft Corporation is an American multinational technology company.
- Microsoft was founded by Bill Gates and Paul Allen on 4 April 1975 in Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States.
- It is headquartered in Redmond, Washington.
- It is considered one of the Big Five companies in the U.S. information technology industry, along with Google, Apple, Amazon, and Facebook.
- It develops, manufactures, licenses, supports, and sells computer software, consumer electronics, personal computers, and related services.