The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 14 July 2021 gave the approval for changing the nomenclature & mandate of the North Eastern Institute of Folk Medicine (NEIFM) as North Eastern Institute of Ayurveda & Folk Medicine Research (NEIAFMR).
- The proposal to change the nomenclature and mandate of NEIFM to NEIARMR was approved keeping in view the need for imparting quality Education and Research in Ayurveda & Folk Medicine at Pasighat, Arunachal Pradesh.
- The consequential changes will also be carried out in the Memorandum of Association & Rules and Regulations.
- The inclusion of Ayurveda within the mandate of the Institute seeks to be highly beneficial for the people of the North East region for imparting quality education and research in Ayurveda and Folk medicine.
- The institute will also provide opportunities for students of Ayurveda and Folk medicine not only in India but also the neighboring countries such as Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan, Mongolia, China and other Central Asian countries.
About North Eastern Institute of Folk Medicine (NEIFM):
- The NEIFM, Pasighat was established for systemic research, documentation, and validation of traditional folk medicine and health practices of the region.
- The institute was established with the following objectives:
- To function as an apex research centre for all aspects of Folk Medicine,
- To create an interface between traditional healers and scientific research, survey, documentation validation of folk medicine practices, remedies and therapies for possible usage in public health care and future research, etc.