The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has recently approved the opening of a new Consulate General of India in Addu City, Maldives in 2021.
- India and Maldives share ethnic, linguistic, cultural, religious and commercial links steeped in antiquity.
- Maldives occupies an important place in the Neighbourhood First Policy and the SAGAR (Security and Growth for All in the Region) vision of the Government of India.
- The opening of a Consulate General in Addu City will help augment India’s diplomatic presence in Maldives.
- Augmentation of India’s diplomatic presence will, inter-alia, provide market access for Indian companies and bolster Indian exports of goods and services.
- This in turn would have a direct impact in augmenting domestic production and employment in line with our goal of a self-reliant India or ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’.
- The Maldives, officially the Republic of Maldives, is a small island nation in South Asia.
- It is situated in the Arabian Sea of the Indian Ocean.
- It lies southwest of Sri Lanka and India.
- The Capital of Maldives is Male.
- The Currency of the Maldives is Maldivian Rufiyaa.
- The current President of the Maldives is Ibrahim Mohamed Solih.