BS Yediyurappa: On July 26, 2021, Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa Karnataka resigned from the top post after months of speculation.
The Governor of Karnataka Thawar Chand Gehlot accepted his resignation and issued a notification dissolving the council of ministers.
The Lingayat leader will continue as the caretaker CM till the next CM takes an oath.
The Party will announce the new Karnataka chief minister soon.
The 78-year old BJP veteran had announced on July 25, 2021, that he will make the decision on his future as the Chief Minister of Karnataka on July 26 when his government will complete two years in the state.
About BS Yediyurappa:
- BS Yediyurappa is an Indian politician who served as the 19th Chief Minister of Karnataka.
- He is the only CM to have as the CM of state for four terms.
- He is also the only one till now in Karnataka to serve 3 times as the leader of opposition in the Karnataka Legislative Assembly.
- In 2008, he became the Chief Minister of Karnataka after leading BJP to a victory in the Assembly elections, a first for BJP in a South Indian State.
- The Lingayats are the largest community of Karnataka.
- They consist of at least 17% of the state’s population.
- The community is also known to have some firm supporters of the BJP and Yediyurappa and can determine the outcome of 30 to 40% Assembly seats.