2032 Olympic Games: Australia’s Brisbane has been confirmed as the host city for the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- The International Olympic Committee approved the recommendation of its executive board at a meeting ahead of Tokyo 2020, making it the third Australian city to stage the event following Melbourne in 1956 and Sydney in 2000.
- It is the first Games to be awarded following an overhaul of the bidding system, with candidate cities no longer bidding against each other ahead of a vote.
- Instead, the IOC held talks with interested parties and picked a preferred host before it was ratified on 21st July 2021.
- The secret ballot was held at the 138th Session in Tokyo, two days before the Opening Ceremony for the Olympic Games, under strict COVID-19 restrictions.
- Following the election, the Host Contract 2032 was signed by the Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk MP, Premier of Queensland and Minister for Trade, Councillor Adrian Schrinner, the Right Honourable Lord Mayor of Brisbane, and Mr. John Coates AC, President of the Australian Olympic Committee.
- Brisbane has become the third Australian city to host the Games after Sydney in 2000 and Melbourne in 1956.
- Note: Brisbane is the state capital of Queensland.
- It was the preferred host, chosen in the month of February, and had earned the executive board’s approval the last month.
- Now, the city’s selection has made Australia the second country after the United States, to stage the summer Olympic Games in three different cities.
- Brisbane in 1992 had tried to hot the Olympics but it was awarded to Barcelona.
- Brisbane was the host of the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- The Australian and the Queensland government will split the cost in a 50:50 ratio.
Host Selection Process:
- Under the IOC’s new, more targeted and flexible approach to future host elections, the two Future Host Commissions (Summer and Winter) are permanently open to exploratory, non-committal continuous dialogue with interested parties and National Olympic Committees (NOCs) on their ambitions to host future Games.
- The Future Host Commission gave the opportunity of a presentation and a discussion to the interested parties in the continuous dialogue.
- Unlike the past where the interested cities were selected on the basis of the vote, in the new method, IOC picks a preferred host city after conducting talks with all the interested cities and then the preferred city is put to vote at its session.
Which other countries have expressed their interest in staging the 2032 summer Olympics?
Several countries and their cities had expressed interest in staging the 2032 summer Olympics. They are:
- Budapest (Capital of Hungary)
- Doha (Qatar)
- Ruhr valley region (Germany)
Nations hosting Olympics before Brisbane:
- Starting this week, Tokyo is hosting the 2020 Olympics
- Paris will host the 2024 Games
- Los Angeles will host the 2028 Summer Olympics