Operation Blue Freedom Triple World Records: A team of eight persons with disabilities created a new world record for the “largest number of people with disabilities” to scale the world’s highest battlefield, Siachen Glacier.
- They scaled up to the Kumar Post at an altitude of 15,632 ft.
- The team with disabilities was trained and led by CLAW Global, a team of Special Forces veterans who had left the service due to disabilities.
- This is the land world record expedition part of “Operation Blue Freedom Triple World Records” being undertaken by CLAW Global.
- The expedition team climbed a total distance of 60 km atop the spine of the Siachen Glacier over a period of five days from September 7 to finally reach Kumar Post on September 11, 2021.
About Team CLAW:
- Team CLAW (full form of CLAW is Conquer Land Air Water) is a team of ex-Indian Special Forces commandos.
- In general, all the team members are either from Indian Army Para Commandos or the Naval Marine Commandos, also known as the MARCOS.
- Each team member had been a crack soldier in the Army / Navy Special Forces and was highly trained with multiple specializations in Mountaineering, Skydiving, SCUBA diving, Un-armed combat, Multi – terrain survival tech, Emergency Med Response, etc.
- Each team member had undergone some of the toughest selection, training and operational environments anywhere on the globe.
- The Team united their energy and skills to teach their life skills to people having disabilities.
- Their focus is to design and implement sustainable large-scale employment solutions for people with disabilities and the underprivileged, especially in the Environment conservation and Sustainability space.
- The initiative was taken by Major Vivek Jacob, a Para (Special Forces) officer.
About Maj Vivek Jacob:
- Team CLAW’s founder Major Vivek Jacob served 14 years as a Special Forces operator.
- Post his training in the National Defence Academy and the Indian Military Academy, he volunteered for and successfully completed one of the harshest Special Forces selections in the world.
- In January 2019, Major Vivek Jacob, a Para SF officer with 14 years of experience in the Indian Army who had to hang up his boots following a combat skydive injury, founded CLAW Global (Conquer Land Air and Water), to teach life skills to adventurers and people with disabilities (PWD).
About the Operation Blue Freedom:
- Operation Blue Freedom was launched in 2019 by CLAW Global, a team of former Special Forces Operatives of the Indian Army and the Indian Navy.
- Its main aim is to shatter the common perception of pity, charity and inability associated with people with disabilities and recreates it to one of dignity, freedom and ability.
- Further, their focus is to ‘design and implement sustainable large-scale employment solutions’ for people with disabilities, especially in the ‘Environment conservation and Sustainability’ space.
About Siachen Glacier:
- The Siachen Glacier is located in the Eastern Karakoram range in the Himalayas, just northeast of Point NJ9842 where the Line of Control between India and Pakistan ends.
- It is the Second-Longest glacier in the World’s Non-Polar areas.
- Fedchenko Glacier, located in Yazgulem Range, Tajikistan is the longest glacier in the World’s Non-Polar areas.
- The Siachen Glacier lies immediately south of the great drainage divide that separates the Eurasian Plate from the Indian subcontinent in the extensively glaciated portion of the Karakoram sometimes called the “Third Pole”.
- The Siachen Glacier is part of Ladakh which has now been converted into a Union Territory.
- The Siachen Glacier is the world’s highest battlefield.
- The entire Siachen Glacier has been under the administration of India since 1984 (Operation Meghdoot).
What is the importance of Siachen Glacier?
- The Siachen glacier demarcates central Asia from the Indian subcontinent, and separates Pakistan from China in the region.
- The Saltoro Ridge of the Siachin glacier serves as a divide that prevents direct linking of PoK with China, stopping them to develop geographical military linkages in the area.