Bharat Ratna Professor C.N.R. Rao has recently been honoured with the International ENI Award 2020.
- Professor Rao has been conferred with the award for his work on carbon nanotubes, metal oxides, and other materials and two-dimensional systems, which includes boron-nitrogen-carbon hybrid materials, graphene, and molybdenum sulfide for the production of energy application and green hydrogen.
- He has been working on hydrogen energy as the only source of energy for the benefit of all mankind. Photochemical and electrochemical production of hydrogen, hydrogen storage, non-metallic catalysis, and solar production of hydrogen were the highlights of his work.
- He will be presented the Eni Awards 2020 on 14 October 2021, during an official ceremony held at the Quirinal Palace in Rome.
About the Award:
- The Eni Award is awarded annually by the Italian oil and gas company Eni to encourage better use of energy sources and increased environmental research.
- International ENI Award is also called the Energy Frontier award.
- The International Eni Award is considered to be the Nobel Prize in Energy Research.
- The award has been recognized internationally over the years in the field of energy and environmental research.
- The award includes a cash prize and a specially minted gold medal.
About Professor C.N.R Rao:
- Professor Rao is an Indian chemist who has worked mainly in structural and solid-state chemistry.
- He has honorary doctorates from 60 universities around the world and has authored around 51 books and 1,600 research publications.
- He is described as a scientist who has won all the possible awards in his field except Nobel Prize.
- He joined the Indian Institute of Science in 1959 and eventually became its director from 1984 to 1994.
- He was the Chair of Scientific Advisory Council to Prime Minister of India from 1985 to 1989 and 2005 to 2014.
- On November 16, 2013, he was selected for Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian award in India.
- He is the third scientist after C.V. Raman and A.P.J Abdul Kalam to receive the award.