Basavaraj Bommai to be sworn in as new Chief Minister of Karnataka on 28th July 2021.
He is the three-time MLA from Shegaon in the Haveri district in North Karnataka.
He was the Home Minister and Parliamentary Affairs Minister in the Yediyurappa Cabinet.
He is considered a close confidante of Yediyurappa. He joined BJP in 2008 and served as Water Resources Minister between 2008 and 2013.
A Mechanical Engineer, Bommai is the son of former Chief Minister S. R. Bommai who was in office between 1988 and 1989.
After his election as Legislative Party leader, Basavaraj Bommai said that he will work under the guidance of outgoing Chief Minister B. S. Yediyurappa and work towards poverty alleviation.
- It is a state in the southwestern region of India.
- It was formed on 1 November 1956, with the passage of the States Reorganisation Act.
- Originally known as the State of Mysore, it was renamed Karnataka in 1973.
- It is bordered by the Arabian Sea to the west, Goa to the northwest, Maharashtra to the north, Telangana to the northeast, Andhra Pradesh to the east, Tamil Nadu to the southeast, and Kerala to the south.
- It is the only southern state to have land borders with all of the other 4 southern Indian sister states. Its capital city is Bangalore.