SDG Progress Award: Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina has been conferred with SDG Progress award.
- This prestigious award has been conferred to her for Bangladesh’s steady progress in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by the UN sponsored Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN).
- Prime Minister Hasina is currently visiting the US to attend the 76th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).
About Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN):
- The SDSN was set up in 2012 under the auspices of the UN Secretary General.
- It is led by development economist Jeoffery Sachs.
- The SDSN seeks to mobilize global scientific and technological expertise to promote practical solutions for sustainable development.
About Sheikh Hasina:
- Sheikh Hasina, born 28 September 1947, is also known by her married name Sheikh Hasina Wazed. She is a Bangladeshi politician who has been serving as the Prime Minister of Bangladesh since January 2009.
- She previously served as prime minister from June 1996 to July 2001.
- She is the longest serving prime minister in the history of Bangladesh, having served for a combined total of over 17 years.
- She is the daughter of Bangladesh’s first president Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
- She has led the Awami League (AL) since 1981.