AUKUS: Australia, the U.K., and the U.S. announced a new trilateral security partnership, AUKUS.
- It is a new trilateral security partnership for Indo-Pacific region.
- This security grouping was announced in a joint address by British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, his Australian counterpart Scott Morrison and US President Joe Biden with a vision for a safer and more secure Indo-Pacific.
- The three countries are forming a new security alliance that will help equip Australia with nuclear-powered submarines.
- These three heads of state reaffirmed their intention to continue to work with their allies and groupings in tandem with AUKUS, with the Quad being mentioned by Morrison and Biden.
Key Points about AUKUS:
- Under the arrangement, Australia will acquire nuclear-powered submarines with help from the U.K. and the U.S.
- Within 18 months, the first fleet of nuclear-powered submarines will be delivered.
- The pact will help Australia to acquire submarines that are quieter, more capable as compared to their conventional counterparts.
- These submarines are capable of being deployed for longer periods and remain submerged for longer periods than conventional submarines.
- However, these nuclear powered submarines and not armed with nuclear weapons.
- AUKUS will not only involve a new architecture of meeting and engagements between three countries but it also involves the cooperation across emerging technologies like AI (Artificial Intellegence), quantum technologies as well as undersea capabilities.
- With this, Australia will join the league of nations that operate nuclear-powered submarines. These are the U.S., the U.K., France, India, China, and Russia.
What is the purpose of forming AUKUS?
- This initiative was launched in response of Australia wanting to strengthen its feet with regard to maritime security in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Furthermore, tensions between Australia and an increasingly assertive China have grown, so, Australia has sought to strengthen its partnerships with India, the U.S., the U.K. and Japan as well as through other plurilateral forums.
- The AUKUS will advance strategic interests, uphold the international rules-based order, promote peace and stability in the Indo-Pacific region, along with generating hundreds of high-skilled jobs.
- As per the analysts, this alliance is the most significant security arrangement between the three nations since World War II, as per the analysts.
- The AUKUS is different from, but complementary to other groupings such as Quad and Five Eyes Network.
- In addition, the US is sharing its submarine technology for the first time in 50 years and had shared it previously only with the UK.
- Australia, officially the Commonwealth of Australia is a sovereign country and the smallest continent and one of the largest countries on Earth.
- It lies between the Pacific and Indian oceans in the Southern Hemisphere. Australia’s capital is Canberra.
- The currency used there is Australian dollar (AUD).
- The current Prime Minister of Australia is Scott Morrison.
About U.K. (United Kingdom):
- The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK or U.K.) or Britain,is a sovereign country located off the northwestern coast of the European mainland.
- The United Kingdom includes the island of Great Britain, the northeastern part of the island of Ireland, and many smaller islands.
- It consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- It is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean, The North Sea, and the Irish Sea.
- The United Kingdom is a unitary parliamentary democracy and constitutional monarchy.
- The monarch is Queen Elizabeth II, who has reigned since 1952, making her the world’s longest-serving current head of state.
- The capital of the United Kingdom is London.
- The currency used here is Pound sterling.
- The current Prime Minister of UK is Boris Johnson.
About U.S. (United States):
- The United States of America (USA), commonly known as the United States (U.S. or US) or America, is a country consisting of 50 states, a federal district, five major self-governing territories, and various possessions.
- The 50 states covers a vast swath of North America, with Alaska in the northwest and Hawaii extending the nation’s presence into the Pacific Ocean.
- The currency used in USA is United States dollar – USD also abbreviated US$.
- The capital of US is Washington, D.C.
- The current President of US is Joe Biden