On May 2, 2021, the votes of the 2021 State Assembly Elections for Assam, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal were counted.
The elections were held amid a surge in Covid-19 cases across the country – a second wave that has ridden the country to an unprecedented crisis.
The following results were the outcomes of the counting:
- The BJP managed to beat the Assembly elections in spite of the Citizenship Amendment Act protests.
- The Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal won from Majuli constitution.
- The star campaigner of BJP, Finance and Health Minister of Assam won from Jalukbari.
- The anti-CAA activists Akhil Gogoi won from Sibsagar.
- BJP won 60 seats, Congress won 29, AIUDF won 16, 9 by AGP and 4 by BPF. The other parties won eight seats. BPF is Bodoland Peoples Front.
- The BJP led alliance in the state was called the “Mitrajot” (Alliance of friends) and the Congress led alliance is called “Mahajot” (Grand Alliance).
- The Mitrajot was formed by BJP, Asom Gana Parishad (AGP), United People’s Party Liberal (UPPL) and Gana Suraksha Party (GSP).
- The Mahajot was formed by Congress, Muslim backed AIUDF (All India United Democratic Front), BTC (Bodoland Territorial Council), Bodoland People’s Front (BPF).
- The state has 294 seats in its Legislative Assembly.
- Of these seats, the Trinamool Congress led by Mamta Banerjee won 212 seats.
- BJP has won 77 seats.
- This was the first election in the state without the major leaders J Jayalalitha and M Karunanidhi.
- The DMK (Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam) and its allies are leading.
- The Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly has 234 seats.
- The DMK has won 126, 64 by AIADMK, 18 by Congress, 4 by BJP and 5 by PMK (Patali Makkal Katchi).
- The DMK-Congress coalition is likely to form the Government under Stalin (son of Late CM Karunanidhi).
- The Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan led Left Democratic Front (LDF) is leading. It has won 99 seats. The Chief Minster is likely to form the Government in state for the second time.
- CPI (M) has won 62 seats, Congress has won 21 seats, 17 by CPI, IUML won 15 seats.
- BJP failed to open an account.