Assam Government has constituted Asom Ratna Award on the lines of Bharat Ratna and Padma awards entailing a slew of benefits for the awardees.
- While Bharat Ratna is the highest civilian honour in India and the Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri Awards follow, Assam has announced conferring of one Asom Ratna, three Asom Bibhushan, five Asom Bhushan and ten Asom Shree awards every year.
- The decision was taken at a Cabinet meeting headed by Chief Minister Himanta Biswas Sarma.
About Asom Ratna Awards:
- Asom Ratna Award will be presented every year to one person for his significant contribution to society.
- The Asom Bibhushan will be presented to three, the Asom Bhushan to two and the Asom Shree to 10 persons every year.
- Awards will be accompanied by a cash reward.
- Rs 5 lakhs for Asom Ratna Award
- Rs 3 lakhs for Asom Bibhushan Award
- Rs 2 lakhs for Assam Bhushan Award
- Rs 1 lakh for Asom Shree Award.
- Awardee would be provided with other benefits which include free medical treatment for critical illness, free travel in State Transport Corporation buses and free stay at Assam Bhawans across the country etc.
Other Decisions taken by government:
- Literary Pension will be conferred in the name of litterateur Dr. Homen Borgohain on his birthday (December 7).
- Sports Pension will be given in the name of Arjun Bhogeswar Barua on his birthday (September 3).
- Artiste Award will be given on January 17 every year.
- Awards will be announced seven days prior to the presentation ceremony.
The Cabinet decided that in all government offices, the photographs of the President, Prime Minister and Assam’s first Chief Minister Gopinath Bordoloi will be displayed.
- Assam is a state in northeastern India known for its wildlife, archeological sites and tea plantations.
- It is situated south of the eastern Himalayas along the Brahmaputra and Barak River valleys.
- Assam is known for Assam tea and Assam silk.
- The state was the first site for oil drilling in Asia. Its capital is Dispur.
- The current Governor and the Chief Minister of Assam are Professor Jagdish Mukhi and Himanta Biswas Sarma respectively.