National Panchayati Raj Day is the national day of Panchayati Raj System in India.
It is celebrated annually by the Ministry of Panchayati Raj on April 24 as the Panchayati Raj System of India came into effect on April 24, 1993.
This annual celebration is done in order to commemorate the historic day on which the Constitution Act (73rd Amendment) passed in 1992.
However, it came into existence a year later on April 24,1993.
Therefore, National Panchayati Raj Day is commemorated to celebrate the inception of decentralised power.
The then Prime Minister of Indian Manmohan Singh declared the first National Panchayati Raj Day on 24 April 2010.
National Panchayati Raj Day 2021:
This year, more than 74,000 Panchayats are to participate in National Panchayati Raj Awards, 2021. This is 28% higher than the National Panchayati Raj Awards, 2020.
Note: There are more than 2.6 lakh Panchayats in the country.
Awards presented on this day are:
- The Deen Dayal Upadhyay Pachayat Sashaktikaran Puraskar is awarded on National Panchayati Raj Day.
- The Nanaji Deshmukh Rashtriya Gaurav Sabha Puraskar is awarded to Gram Sabha.
- Child friendly Gram Panchayat award
- E-Panchayat award
SVAMITVA, a Central Sector Scheme of Ministry of Panchayati Raj was launched by the Prime Minister on National Panchayati Raj Day, 24th April 2020. The scheme aims to provide the ‘record of rights’ to village household owners in rural abadi areas and issuance of Property cards.
Panchayati Raj System:
- The Panchayati Raj Act came into effect on April 24, 1993.
- It was introduced through the 73rd Constitutional amendment.
- The establishment of Panchayati Raj System in the country was recommended by Balwant Rai Committee.
What are the main features of the Features of 74th Amendment Act?
- Every state shall constitute a Nagar Panchayat, Municipal Corporation and Municipal Council.
- All the seats in the municipality shall be filled by persons chosen from direct elections.
- A ward Committee shall be constituted.
- The seats in the local bodies shall be reserved for the Scheduled Tribes and Scheduled Castes.
- Establishment of Independent Election Commission in each state.
- Establishment of Financial Commission in each state.