World Wrestling Championships: Indian Wrestler Anshu Malik, on October 7, 2021, created history by becoming the first Indian women wrestler to win silver in the World Championships.
- The 19-year-old Anshu lost her final bout 1-4 to two-time Olympic medalist Helen Maroulis in women’s 57kg final in Oslo, Norway.
- Meanwhile, another Indian grappler Sarita Mor(59kg) also won a bronze medal for the nation.
- Till date, only four Indian women wrestlers have won medals at the World level namely Babita Phogat (2012), Geeta Phogat (2012), Pooja Dhanda (2018), and Vinesh Phogat (2019).
- All these four Indian women wrestlers have won a bronze medal each.
- With this win, Anshu has also became the sixth Indian ever to make the Worlds gold medal match after Bishambar Singh (1967), Sushil Kumar (2010), Amit Dahiya (2013), Bajrang Punia (2018) and Deepak Punia (2019).
- India has only one world Champion, named Sushil Kumar.
About Anshu Malik:
- Anshu Malik is an Indian freestyle wrestler.
- She has won gold in the 60-kg category of the Cadet Wrestling Championships.
- In 2020, she won the bronze medal in 57 kg category at the 2020 Asian Wrestling Championships, which was held in New Delhi.
- She clinched the silver medal in the women’s 57-kg-category at the 2020 Individual Wrestling World Cup in Belgrade, Serbia.
- In 2021, Malik won gold in the women’s 57-kg category at the Asian Wrestling Championships after beating Battsetseg Altantsetseg of Mongolia.
- Anshu Malik’s father Dharamvir Malik was an international wrestler himself. He has worked with the CISF.