IAF: Air Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari PVSM AVSM VM recently took over as the Vice Chief of the Air Staff on 01 Jul 21 while Lt. Gen. Sanjeev Kumar Sharma assumed office as Deputy Chief of the Army Staff (Strategy).
He succeeds Air Marshal H.S. Arora, who retired on 30 June 2021 after over 39 years of service.
About Air Marshal Chaudhari:
- Air Marshal Chaudhari was commissioned into the fighter stream of the Air Force on December 29, 1982, and has a flying experience of more than 3800 hrs on a wide variety of fighter and trainer aircraft and trainer aircraft, including missions flown during Op-Meghdoot and Op-Safed Sagar.
- He is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy and the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington.
- Prior to the present appointment, he was Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief (AOC-in-C) of the Western Air Command.
- Air Marshal Ballabha Radha Krishna, who was the Director General (DG) Air Operations, took over as the new AOC-in-C of the Western Air Command.
- Air Marshal P.M. Sinha assumed office as DG Air Operations.
- Air Marshal RJ Duckworth would be taking charge of the Central Air Command in Prayagraj.
- On the occasion, the Air Marshals were presented the ceremonial Guard of Honour at Air Headquarters.
- They also took part in the wreath laying ceremony at the National War Memorial.
- IAF is an acronym for the Indian Air Force of India.
- It is the air arm of the Indian Armed Forces.
- It was officially established on 8 October 1932 as an auxiliary air force of the British Empire which honoured India’s aviation service during World War II with the prefix Royal.
- With the government’s transition to a Republic in 1950, the prefix Royal was removed.
- The present Commander-in-Chief of IAF is Ram Nath Kovind. The Chief of Air Staff, an air chief marshal, is a four-star officer and is responsible for the bulk of operational command of the Air Force.
- The present Chief of the Air Staff (CAS) is Air Chief Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria, PVSM, AVSM, VM, ADC and the Vice Chief of the Air Staff (VCAS) is Air Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari PVSM AVSM VM.