Union Agriculture Minister, Narendra Singh Tomar recently launched a seed Minikit programme by distributing high-yielding varieties of seeds of pulses and oilseeds to farmers.
About the Seed Minikit Programme:
- This mission was launched to increase the production of oilseeds and pulses.
- The Seed Minikits programme is a major tool for introducing new varieties of seeds in the farmers’ fields.
- It will also help in increasing the seed replacement rate.
- Under the programme, Mini-kits are being provided by the National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India (NAFED), National Seeds Corporation (NCS), and Gujarat State Seeds Corporation.
- It is wholly funded by the Government of India (GoI) through National Food Security Mission.
- Under the mission distribution of seeds will continue till June 15, 2021. Thus, farmers will get seeds before the commencement of the Kharif sowing season.
- About 20,27,318 seed minikits of pulses, more than 74000 mini kits of groundnut, and 8 lakh for soybean mini kits will be provided free of cost to the farmers directly under National Food Security Mission.
- National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Ltd (NAFED) is an apex organization of marketing cooperatives for agricultural produce in India.
- It was founded on the auspicious day of Gandhi Jayanti on 2 October 1958.
- It is registered under the Multi-State Co-operative Societies Act.
- Agricultural farmers are the main members of this body.
- Its main objective is to promote Co-operative marketing of Agricultural Produce to benefit the farmers across the nation.
National Seeds Corporation (NCS):
- National Seeds Corporation Ltd. (NSC) is a Schedule ‘B’-Miniratna Category-I company wholly owned by the Government of India under the administrative control of the Department of Agriculture Cooperation & Farmer’s Welfare, Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.
- NSC was established in March-1963 to undertake the production of foundation and certified seeds.
- The NSC was established to serve two main following objectives:
- Firstly, to promote the development of the seed industry in India and
- Secondly, to produce and supply the foundation seeds of various crops.
Gujarat State Seeds Corporation:
- Gujarat State Seeds Corporation Ltd. was established in April 1975.
- It is popularly known by its brand name “GURABINI.”
- GURABINI is serving in the larger interest of farmers for more than three decades with farmer’s faith brand loyalty, quality assurance, dedicated service, and sustainable contribution for upliftment of farmers with Glorious achievements.
- It is primarily engaged in the production, processing, and marketing of seeds of more than 30 crops and 100 varieties and hybrids in almost all categories i.e. Cereals, Pulses, Oilseeds, Fibre Crops, Fodder, and Green Manuring Crops.