On the occasion of World Bee Day and in the auspicious context of the ‘Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav’, Union Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Minister Shri Narendra Singh Tomar recently launched the project of setting up of a honey testing laboratory at the Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Pusa, New Delhi.
- It has been setup for quality testing of honey and other products of beekeeping under the National Beekeeping and Honey Mission (NBHM).
- 300 crore has been approved for the overall promotion of NBHM, development of scientific beekeeping and achieving the target of “sweet revolution”.
- Besides, Rs 500 crore has been allocated to NBHM by the Centre under the Atmanirbhar Bharat Campaign.
- A world-class state of art Honey Testing Lab has been established at National Dairy Development Board (NDDB), Anand with the help of Rs 5 crore.
- The National Beekeeping & Honey Mission (NBHM) scheme was announced by the Union Government as part of the Atma Nirbhar Bharat package in 2020.
- The scheme is implemented by the National Bee Board (NBB) and is approved for three years from 2020 to 2023.
- It is under the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare, GOI.
- It is a central sector scheme (100% central government funding).
- The scheme is aimed at the overall development and promotion of scientific beekeeping in India to achieve the objectives of the Sweet Revolution.
- The scheme will work in tandem with the various other schemes related to beekeeping such as KVIC’s Honey Mission, Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture (MIDH), and the ministries of rural development, MSME, AYUSH, commerce and industry, tribal affairs, etc.
- New Delhi officially the National Capital Territory of Delhi (NCT), is a city and a union territory of India.
- It serves as the capital of India is the seat of the State Government of Delhi and the Government of India, as well as the city or local governments as per the 74th Constitutional Amendment Act.
- The foundation stone of New Delhi was laid by Emperor George V during the Delhi Durbar of 1911.
- The new capital was inaugurated on 13 February 1931 by Lord Irwin who was the Viceroy and Governor-General of India.
- The current Chief Minister and Governor of Delhi are Arvind Kejriwal and Anil Baijal respectively.
World Bee Day 2021:
- The UN has designated 20 May as World Bee Day.
- The fourth observance of World Bee Day was celebrated by the FAO on 20 May 2021 under the theme “Bee engaged – Build Back Better for Bees”.