The Chinese born film maker Chloe Zhao recently became the first Asian woman and only the second woman ever to win Best Director at the Academy Awards.
She won the award for her film Nomadland.
At the Awards ceremonies on 25 April 2021 in Los Angeles in the US, the 39-year-old also took home the award for Best Picture for the film, which stars actress Frances McDormand and a number of real-life nomads who travel the US looking for work.
- Zhao was born in China and lived in Beijing until age 14, when she went to boarding school in London.
- She later moved to Los Angeles where she finished high school and then attended film school in New York.
- Her debut film was Songs My Brothers Taught me.
- It was premiered at Sundance Film Festival.
- Her second film was The Rider.
- It received nominations at the Independent Spirit Award for the Best Film and Best Director.
- The film is a story of financially stretched van dwellers in the United States.
- It is about a woman who leaves town after her husband dies.
- She also becomes houseless as sole industry closes down.
- She then lives in a van and travels around the US.
Winners of 93rd Academy awards:
- Best Picture: Nomadland
- Best Director: Chloe Zhao for ‘Nomadland’
- Best Actor: Anthony Hopkins for ‘The Father’
- Best Actress: Frances McDormand for ‘Nomadland’
- Best International Feature Film: Another Round (Denmark) in Danish
About Academy Awards:
- The Academy Awards is also known as Oscars.
- They are awarded for artistic and technical merit in the film industry.
- They are considered as the most prestigious awards in the world.
- The winners are awarded with a copy of a Golden Statuette as trophy.
- The trophy is officially called “Academy Award of Merit”.
- The award was designed by Cedric Gibbons and sculpted by George Stanley.
- It was first presented in 1929.
Bhanu Athaiya was the first Indian to win Oscar in 1982. She won the award for Best Costume Design for the movie Gandhi. As of 2021, 13 Indians have been nominated for Oscars and 8 have won in scientific and technical category.