Institute of Economic Growth (IEG): N.K. Singh who is the 15th Finance Commission Chairperson has been elected as the president of the Institute of Economic Growth (IEG) Society.
- N.K. Singh will be succeeding former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh after he stepped down from the post earlier in August 2021.
- Singh was recommended by Dr. Manmohan Singh had for the General Assembly of the IEG to consider for Presidency of the Society.
- Dr. Manmohan Singh has served as the President of IEG since 1992.
- At present, Tarun Das, former Director-General, Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) is the Chairman of, Board of Governors, and Professor Ajit Mishra is the Director of IEG.
About N K Singh:
- N K Singh is an Indian economist, administrator, academician, and policymaker. He is currently the Chairman of the 15th Finance Commission.
- Prior to this, he has been the Chairman of the Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management Review Committee (FRBM).
- He has also been a member of the Rajya Sabha from 2008 to 2014 during which he contributed significantly to several Parliamentary Standing Committees such as the Committee on Human Resource Development, the Committee on Foreign Affairs, and the Public Accounts Committee.
- He was not only a distinguished member of the Indian Administrative Services (IAS) in his home cadre in Bihar, where he held posts such as the Industrial Development Commissioner and Deputy Chairman, Bihar Planning Board but he also has vast international experience through interactions with multilateral organizations such as the World Bank, OECD, IMF, and ADB.
- He has been awarded the “Order of the Rising Sun – Gold, and Silver” in 2016 by the Emperor of Japan for his work as First Minister, Economic, and Commercial, Indian Embassy, Japan (1981–85).
About Institute of Economic Growth (IEG):
- The Institute of Economic Growth (EIG), is an autonomous body and civil service training institute under the Government of India (GoI).
- EIG was founded in 1952 by the renowned economist, V. K. R. V. Rao.
- This institute was established for advanced research on economic and social development. It is widely regarded as a centre of excellence in the field.