Ten additional judges of the Bombay High Court were recently elevated as permanent judges.
The President of India, Sri Ram Nath Kovind in the exercise of the power conferred by clause (1) of Article 217 of the Constitution of India, appointed the judges of the Bombay High Court.
According to a notification issued by the Department of Justice, the following judges were to be judges of the Bombay High Court with effect from the date they assume charge of their respective offices.
- S/Shri Justices Avinash Gunwant Gharote
- Nitin Bhagawantrao Suryawanshi
- Anil Satyavijay Kilor
- Milind Narendra Jadhav
- Mukund Govindrao Sewlikar
- Virendrasingh Gyansingh Bisht
- Debadwar Bhalchandra Ugrasen
- Smt. Mukulika Shrikant Jawalkar
- Surendra Pandharinath Tavade
- Nitin Rudrasen Borkar
Additional judges are usually appointed for a period of two years before they are elevated as permanent judges.
According to the latest data available on the website of the Department of Justice, the sanctioned strength of the Bombay High Court is 94 judges but it is functioning with 62 which is a shortfall of 32 judges.
About Article 217 in the Constitution of India 1949:
217: Appointment and conditions of the office of a Judge of a High Court
(1) Every Judge of a High Court shall be appointed by the President by warrant under his hand and seal after consultation with the Chief Justice of India, the Governor of the State, and, in the case of appointment of a Judge other than the Chief Justice, the Chief Justice of the High court, and shall hold office, in the case of an additional or acting Judge, as provided in Article 224, and in any other case, until he attains the age of sixty two years Provided that
(a) a Judge may, by writing under his hand addressed to the President, resign his office
(b) a Judge may be removed from his office by the President in the manner provided in clause ( 4 ) of Article 124 for the removal of a Judge of the Supreme Court;
(c) the office of a Judge shall be vacated by his being appointed by the President to be a Judge of the Supreme Court or by his being transferred by the President to any other High Court within the territory of India